Message from Arpan 2012 | 7
Statistics shows that one in every two children is sexually abused!
- 53% children reported having faced one or more forms of sexual abuse.
- 22% reported facing severe forms of sexual abuse and 50.76% other forms of sexual abuse.
- 5.7% reported being sexually assaulted.
- Boys were equally at risk as girls.
- 50% abusers are persons known to the child or in a position of trust and responsibility(family member, close relative, friend or neighbour)
- Most children did not report the matter to anyone.
- Though young children aged between 5 and 10 years did experience sexual abuse, greater incidence of abuse was seen between the age group of 10 to 15 years.
(Source: NATIONAL STUDY ON CHILD ABUSE IN APRIL 2007, MINISTRY OF WOMEN AND CHILD DEVELOPEMENT).