Message from Arpan 2012 | 13
Seeking professional support to help the child heal.
Sexually abused children often feel guilt,anger,sadness,shame and confusion.
Professional counselling usually helps the child:
- Realise that abuse is NOT his/her fault.
- Reduce the shame and guilt.
- Feel accepted, safe and secure.
- Rebuild their self esteem and confidence.
- Minimise focus on the traumatic past, heal and move on.
- Come to terms with the consequences about the abuser when reported and action is taken.
The family also needs counselling to cope with the abuse situation and help the child heal.